The Gospel and Trust
Good morning Metro Life Church!
What a great time we had in the Word hearing from the Father Heart of God and His desire to change the heart of His covenant people... Here's what we studied in Deuteronomy 5:29
Oh that they had such a heart as this always, to fear me and to keep all my commandments, that it might go well with them and with their descendants forever! (Deuteronomy 5:29 ESV)
Stephanie was reading over my notes Saturday night and she noticed it right off... did you? Each question this past Sunday had a particular design to it, they had a powerful source; The Ten Commandments themselves - I should say eight of the ten at least.
I didn't do that to hide something in the questions in order to trick us, I did that to illustrate what a powerful weapon each follower of Jesus has in our aresonal!
We don't want to live as if we don't have some helpful sign telling us that our next decision may be a BAD IDEA!
Here they are again for review:
1. Am I trying to take on the role of God? Where am I trying to orchestrate a symphony in life I wasn’t meant to participate in?
2. Is there something, someone, goal, dream or desire that I’ve setup as an idol that is taking God’s place?
3. Is that one extra day of work each week what will help me “break through” in my career so I don’t take time for God and family?
4. Teens, is it the push-back with your parents and the things they’re asking you to do that make you stand out from your group of friends?
5. Where is anger allowed to build in your heart toward someone where you may not actually kill them but any chance you get you snipe at them around others to try and take them out of your life in some way?
6. Husbands and Wives, is it that other person that you think can fulfill you in a way that your spouse cannot? Physically or emotionally giving up your covenant with one another…
7. Are you setting out to tear someone down through passing lies about them?
8. Are you tempted to see the green grass elsewhere without any perspective on the manure that’s feeding it… coveting something that ‘looks better’ or maybe more practically ‘looks easier’ than where your life is at?
Remember: God’s commands have the absolute best intentions for my heart and life. So I can trust him.
For futher Discussion and Reflection:
- What causes us to dicsonnect God's commands and prohimitions from His blessings?
- Recall a time you were very grateful for a signpost. What made you grateful?
- How does the gospel illuminate our understanding of all of God's commands?
- Where in my life might I doubt God's goodness in relationship to what He asks of me?
- Pray through Deuteronomy 5:29 with someone