The gospel is a message about the person and work of Jesus Christ. All of us have sinned and fallen short of God's perfect standard (Romans 3:23). On account of our sin, none of us deserves God's favor, but only God's wrath, and that forever (Romans 1:18, 2:5). But God sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to live a perfect life and to die on the cross as an atoning sacrifice for sin (Hebrews 4:15; Romans 8:3, 3:25).
Jesus alone is able to atone for sin because:
- Jesus is fully man and fully God (John 1:1, 14).
- Jesus lived a perfect life (Hebrews 4:15).
- Jesus died as a sacrifice for sin appeasing the wrath of God (Isaiah 53:5; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Colossians 2:13-14).
- Jesus was raised from the dead, thus proving his sacrifice was acceptable to God (Romans 4:25; 1 Corinthians 15:17).
- Jesus ascended to heaven and promises his return (Matthew 24:30-31; John 14:1-3).
The good news of the gospel is that we can be brought into a right relationship with God, through faith in the work of Jesus on our behalf (1 Peter 3:18).
We cannot atone for our own sin, nor can we earn God's favor (Galatians 2:16). Salvation, if it happens at all, happens by grace alone (Ephesians 2:8-9).
To receive this salvation, having recognized the need for a savior, one must repent of their sins and place their trust fully in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38; Romans 10:13).
If you have questions and would like to speak with someone, please feel free to contact us. It would be our joy to speak to you about the gospel.
If you have received this great salvation, we celebrate with you! You will find at Metro Life Church a church family eager to praise God for his mighty works. We invite you to join us as we gather each Sunday and throughout the week to work out the implications of this salvation.